A Las Vegas judge is mulling what, if any, sanctions to impose on Sands China Ltd. for redacting personal information from documents the company produced out of Macau in January 2013.
District Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez, who heard nearly five hours of legal arguments on the topic Tuesday, said she plans to issue a written decision by early next week.
The issue of sanctions arose in a 2010 lawsuit filed by Steven Jacobs, the fired former president of Sands Macau. Gonzalez previously ruled that Sands China violated her September 2012 order in the case by redacting documents.
Jacobs’ attorney, Todd Bice, argued that Sands China should not be allowed to benefit from the violation.
“We are here today because of a long series of misrepresentations,” Bice told the judge on Tuesday.
Jacobs sued Las Vegas Sands Corp. and Sands China for breach of contract related to his termination and had asked the defendants to turn over about 100,000 emails and other documents.
In her order, Gonzalez ruled that neither defendant could raise the Macau Personal Data Protection Act as an objection to the disclosure of any documents.
She made the ruling after learning that “significant amounts of data from Macau related to Jacobs was transported to the United States” and reviewed by in-house counsel for Las Vegas Sands and outside counsel. The judge also determined that the transferred data was relevant to the ongoing question of whether the Nevada court has jurisdiction over Sands China.